Friday, May 25, 2012

Matti Paints - Subject Jonna

Jonna is one of my oldest friends, and after many years apart, we were reunited in my hot and stuffy house in the middle of St. James Town in downtown Toronto. 
Pictured: Friendship.

When we met she was a dancer, and I was... also a dancer. But not a very good one. At least not by professional standards.
There are many high-school memories I have of Jonna. We would hang out in the theatre during lunch while the cool kids didn’t... I really don’t know what they ever did, but I’m pretty sure they never had as much fun as we did. 

Pictured: Fun.

Jonna is awesome. She always made me laugh and encouraged me to try things that I hadn’t done before. I always saw her as a Joan of Arc type character and that’s the feeling I wanted to give her here. Not necessarily a martyr exactly, but someone who is ambitious, exciting and personable. The personification of modern radical. (Catalyst reference anyone?)

Yellow, Orange, Green, Baby Blue and Purple

Her colours were colourful and harmonious like her, and her song choices while varied were inevitably fun. I mean she has “Call Me Maybe” by CRJ who I adore. 

Pictured: I love CRJ.
I loved her bright and captivating colour choices and couldn’t wait to work with them to create something unique and exciting. Her character is exciting and strong and I really think I captured that eccentric, goofy yet lovely earth-goddess sort of vibe encapsulates her. I wanted her to encapsulate the Joan-of-Arc type of character I see her as. 
As an interesting side note, I think every girl so far has chosen that neon green. Win? 


I’ve always had a soft spot for her, and I was thrilled to be reacquainted with my old friend in such a touching and unique way.
I really don’t know what else to say right now... Especially considering this is my 5th painting today. Just doing one can be exhausting so this is some kind of super challenge... but a good one. 

Presenting : Jonna

1 comment: